Thursday, June 11, 2015

Replace the GoPro Ribbon Cable with a Socket Connector

I felt I was having to be extremely cautious with the ribbon cable on my H3-3D Gimble, every time I needed to get to the memory card on the GoPro. After doing some research, I found a connector modification to go through the connector on the back of the GoPro to achieve the save desired function (Power and Video Out).

This is where I found the socket connector: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NLA33KA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00
Remove the two screws, and the sticker across the back.  The back plate should come off.
While looking from the back, gently flip the plastic tab up, to remove the ribbon from the socket.
Insert the ribbon from the connector with the blue support tab on the top, make sure the ribbon is seated all the way. Flip the tab down to secure.
Angle the connector into place, and it should snap into the slot. Put the black sticker back on across the back, and re-attach the plate.

Now you don't have to worry about tearing off the ribbon cable before your next flight.

2 comments:

  1. That socket never worked on my Phantom 2.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be VERY careful with this mod - I bought the same kit and modded a BRAND NEW H3-3D.

    Worked perfect the first 2 times i used it - when to power everything on and test at home before next flight, and the gimbal was FRIED.

    After checking out a few groups, it seems this mod is known for causing it!

    ReplyDelete