Saturday, August 23, 2014

Automated Time Lapse - Raspberry Pi

Based on a previous Time Lapse generating system, I wanted to build another version with a Raspberry Pi that would be put outside inside an enclosure. I had attempted Time lapse Photography with a Raspberry Pi and a Microsoft Webcam before, but had issues with stability past more than a day. The Raspberry would lockup. I think it had to do with the small power supply and the 3 long USB extension cords, but that's another issue entirely.

This is my current version of my WeatherCam that I use to make Time Lapse Videos. I purchased a Dome Enclosure and mounted it upside down onto a pole. I found a servo at the local toy shop, and mounted the servo to the tripod screw. I am using the Raspberry Pi Camera with the IR Filter, and the servo is being powered form the Raspberry Pi directly (Not optimal, but it works). I also added a RTC to this setup so I can use this camera when it is not on the Internet, and still get accurate timestamps on the images captured. After some testing, I determined a bigger power supply was needed to power the Raspberry and the Servo unit. I am using a 5v 2.1A USB charger for the power supply. 


One of the big drives for this project, was wanting to make a Web Based interface so I could rebuild the unit I deployed for my Mom. This way, she won't have to know CLI to build Time Lapse videos. She already has a Raspberry Pi generating Time Lapse Videos automatically, but I wanted to give her more control over the process. I also have a chance of building one to Time Lapse of storms in Colorado, and I wanted to make it all easy to use. It has came a long way since I first started, but here is the interface.







Main Page showing Image Feed, updates every 60 seconds
Help page explains all sections and settings

Browse images/videos captured on system

Build a previous days images
into a Time Lapse, or process/upload todays

Upload a previously generated Time Lapse

Rotate the camera with the servo

Check System Temperature and free space

System Settings

Here is a video of the camera system automatically taking a panorama image set for post processing. The Panorama below is what I stitched together on my iPad from the images that were captured here.


9 Images captured from this system, and post processed into a Panorama on my iPad. What a view.

1 comment:

  1. Edward Czajka,

    Nice build! I haven't seen many projects like yours.

    Can you tell us the longest uptime of the raspberry pie?
    How long has the camera been running for?

    My concern is the temperature reported in one of your screenshots regarding CPU temperature rising above 50°C during sun exposition. This could cause premature end of life of the rapsberry pi board.

    Could the sun exposition cause a green house effect inside the webcam enclosure? Wouldn't the temperature rise more than expected if the camera dome is facing up towards the sky, instead of down facing the ground or maybe on its' side facing the horizon?

    Also did you develop a solution for auto-generated panoramas taking place at the end of each panorama shooting session?

    Best regards

    ReplyDelete