Thursday, July 10, 2014

Installing Windows 7 on a Windows 8 Machine

I had some issues with a system that was purchased with Windows 8 preinstalled on it. The user did not want to be the first person in the office to use Windows 8, and she was not very computer savvy anyways. She wanted Windows 7 installed on this machine. When i first tried to boot this system from the disk, it would not get to the GUI Setup on the disk. I tried many times, and even removed the hard drive, installed Windows 7 while on another machine, and moved the drive back. Even then, the computer would not boot into Windows 7.
It was at this point that I discovered that the serial number for the OS was stored on the motherboard. This is a big change from how Microsoft used to do things. I also discovered this interesting piece. Notice "Secure Boot" and "Secure Rollback Prevention" in the BIOS.
With the default settings on the BIOS, look hat boot options I had available to me. No USB or CDROM drive, only Ethernet.
Once I turned off the OS Optimized Defaults setting in the BIOS, I was able to see all of the bootable devices that i was used to seeing. Then my pre-installed Windows 7 setup could continue. 

No comments:

Post a Comment